Mar 13, 2010
I recently sat in on a CSS framework “Battle Royale” at the 2010 South by South West conference in Austin Texas. CSS frameworks really speed up the web design and development process. We have designed sites with both the 960 grid system and blueprint before. There are a lot of differences between the five main css frameworks, which I will discuss below. Continue reading
Dec 9, 2009
[video filename=/wp-content/themes/bigtuna-interactive/flash/optimizing-wordpress-post.flv height=360 width=640 vid_image=/wp-content/themes/bigtuna-interactive/images/optimizing-wordpress-post.jpg /]
This video the shows the proper on page optimization processes for a WordPress post. It covers the correct title structure, category alignment, more tag positioning and use of the All in One SEO plugin. There are hundreds of other factors that go into optimizing your WordPress pages. This tutorial shows the basic best practices for what to do with the default settings and the all in one plugin. Continue reading
Sep 16, 2009
Site maps are a staple web usability feature. They give visitors a quick way to find information. Site maps are also great link juice for search engine spiders. Continue reading
Sep 12, 2009
I recently sat in on a best practices for on page WordPress SEO at WordCamp LA. We’ve been using WordPress as our blogging platform and CMS of choice since 2006. It was fun to hear other SEO consultants take on WordPress. Key findings :
- The H1 Tag recently had its relevancy downgraded
- Flat site architecture is the preferred structure for url’s. In the past, the /%category%/%postname%/ permalink structure was preferred. To keep it flat, use /%postname%/.
Jun 22, 2009
The official site of Joakim Soria has been launched
BigTuna Interactive just launched the official site of Joakim Soria. Nicknamed the “Mexicutioner”, Joakim is not only one of the best closers in baseball, but he is a huge fan favorite in Kansas City. We worked directly with the Kansas City Royals on the site’s launched, and it was quickly picked up by MLB.com and other major publishers.
Highlights of the site include:
- Professionally written content in both English and Spanish
- Sharp design and clean code
- Social media tools present throughout the whole site
We will continue to work with Joakim’s team as their agency of record.
May 7, 2009
[video filename=/wp-content/themes/bigtuna-interactive/flash/extreme.flv /]
One of the most difficult tasks of leading volunteers is to get free work done on time. Everybody is busy and time is thin. During the 2008 Ad 2 San Diego board retreat, we talked about the need for a new website. The Communications Committee decided to meet in September, 2008 to start the project. Continue reading
Apr 29, 2009
Joakim Soria of the Kansas City Royals
BigTuna Interactive has signed an agreement to work with Kansas City Royals Closer Joakim Soria. We will be in charge of all of his interactive needs. These include:
- Web design and development
- Content creation
- Social media optimization
- Web maintenance
Joakim Soria is one of the premier closers in Major League Baseball. His new site will be in both English and Spanish. Stay tuned as we’re extremely excited to launch his new site shortly.
Apr 26, 2009
Spike Jones from Brains on Fire spoke at the April 24, 2009 San Diego Ad Club morning seminar. On a whole, Spike was a great speaker. I really like how he integrated the entire word of mouth (WOM) spectrum through online and traditional mediums. Interesting facts:
- 92% of word of mouth happens offline
- Reframe the conversation. It’s not about the product, it’s what you do with the product.
- Movements are about getting people involved with events that they want to get involved with. Campains have a start and end date. Movements get people engaged.
- Movements are a volumn dial. Sometimes they run high or low, but they are always running.
- Campaigns have the mentality of “us vs them” whereas movements have the attitude of “we’re all in this together”
7 Lessons learned from WOM movements:
- Passion conversation vs product conversation.
- Movements have inspirational leadership.
- Empower with knowledge. Give advocates background on the company, teach them how to use the technology, etc.
- Shared ownership.
- Make advoates feel like rock stars.
- Live online and offline.
- Move the needle.
Feb 16, 2009
BigTuna Interactive recently launched a YouTube brand channel for network storage heavyweight Iomega. Through the process we learned several interesting facts about YouTube Brand Channels. These facts included:
- To get the full functionality of YouTube Brand Channels, you must either have a yearly ad spend of $250,000 or be a consistent content producer
- The full YouTube Brand channels offer more bells and whistles than normal brand channels. These bells and whistles may be more ad spaces or the ability to place hotlinks on your page
- Many well name brands are still not even using the basic Brand Channel functionalities.
Even if you have a small YouTube budget, still customize your brand channel. There is plenty of space to incorporate all of your branding attributes. You can also throw in a couple of calls of action.
Check out the Iomega YouTube Brand Channel that we created.
Dec 10, 2008
I spoke today at the Major League Baseball Winter Meetings to the Professional Baseball Video Coordinators about their online marketing strategy. Having been a charter member of the PBVCA and the person in charge of their marketing campaign in 2004, it was an extremely rewarding experience to hang out with the group again.
BigTuna Interactive has been contracted to serve as the agency of record for the PBVCA.com. Our duties include re-launching PBVCA.com, writing content, and search engine optimization and social media optimization campaigns. As it stands, the current PBVCA.com site has a lot of room for improvement. The clients needs have evolved since the site’s initial launch in early 2008, and we are excited to help take them to the next level.
A key focus for PBVCA.com will be to position the site as a resource for video coaching in baseball. Social media tools, such as a blog, forum, and a Facebook Fan Page will help leverage the expertise of Major League Baseball Video Coordinators. The Video Coordinators are excited to give back to the community and to share their knowledge on how to use video to make baseball players better.
The site will also serve as an online reputation management platform for MLB Video Coordinators. Each VC will have an optimized page with their bio. Other tactics to manage Video Coordinators online presence will be to have profiles on social networking sites LinkedIn and Facebook.
The expected launch date of the new PBVCA.com site is February, 2009.